There's been intense speculation in the Spend Matters/MetalMiner office today about what President Obama told Chinese President Hu Jintao after his bow. Here's what we believe might have been said (further commentary welcome):
Photo source: REUTERS/Jim Young
- "Wind and solar power...I defer to you."
- "Now about that small matter of intellectual property..."
- "We'd be delighted to have your SOEs buy off our companies. Want a bank or two?"
- "When do I get my red phone?"
- "I agree, the RMB should be the world reserve currency."
- "Pleeeeease appreciate your currency!!"
- "No need to hack our corporate systems this week. Everything you requested is on the USB drive in my pocket."
- "I'll sweeten the next treasury offering by agreeing to personally sing a tune on KTV."
- "If you plan to use our technology to beat us in our own market, we would be delighted for you to bid on that rail project in California."
- "You can have Taiwan if you personally autograph my copy of the Art of War."
- "Want to sail aboard QE2 back to Beijing?"
- "Xie Xie! Thank you! Thank you!"
- "I've told Joe to spit around the White House today to make you feel more at home."
- "I'll trade you a pack of my personal Camels for some more rare earths."
- Jason Busch and Lisa Reisman