While we count our CEO as a procurement/supply chain practice Deloitte alum, the venerable Big 5 firm’s inclusion in the Spend Matters 50/50 speaks not to alumni nepotism, but the size and prowess of the practice the firm has built globally in procurement and supply chain. By our estimates, Deloitte’s sourcing and procurement practice has doubled in the recent years, outpacing services procurement market growth overall. And while perhaps not as well known as other firms in the sector that have specialized in procurement and operations for decades, Deloitte is now every bit as large (or larger) than key peers.
In short, over the past 10 years, Deloitte has quietly become one of the largest procurement and sourcing practices worldwide within and outside the Big 5, and one of 2 with the broadest and deepest footprints (e.g., technology, analytics, strategy, process/category work, tax-advantaged supply chains, managed services, etc.) of any of its rivals – at least those that have not traditionally centered on BPO.
On the technology strategy and implementation side of the firm, Deloitte brings focused practices and experience, both with traditional ERP/Ariba procurement solutions as well as newer products such as Coupa. There is also a strong general working knowledge of tools beyond transactional procurement – analytics, contract management, supplier management, sourcing, risk management and related areas are firmly within the firm’s knowledge and expertise, not to mention additional specialized supply chain and finance solutions that fall outside of procurement.
Companies should consider Deloitte if they:
- Want a single procurement consulting provider that has the integrated benefits of strategy and operations consulting along with technology expertise and knowledge of tax-optimized supply chains
- Are looking for a traditional management consultancy to help with strategic procurement transformation, category sourcing/management, make/buy analysis, etc.
- Want a highly experienced and low-risk technology systems implementation partner for procurement solutions that can also bring other capabilities, if required
- Are looking for specialized managed services capabilities (e.g., supplier management)
- Want to engage with a practice that is genuinely full of down-to-earth advisors and practitioners with a flair for the pragmatic and practical over the ivory tower