We continue our series on the top 25 procurement myths. Some you may know, others maybe not. You also may agree with us on certain ones and not others. But, the important thing is that we have this discussion. We will post 1 a day here on Chief Procurement Officer, so make sure to check back on the site to catch them all.
3. Maverick spending is bad
Maverick spending is a failure of the system to use preferred suppliers, but that doesn’t make it bad. It merely highlights that one of many things may have occurred:
- The sourcing process wasn’t inclusive enough to capture key requirements
- The P2P process didn't guide requisitioners to preferred supply sources and transactional processes
- Controls were not properly established
- Communications in roll-out were not effective enough
- Changes in requirements and the supply markets are not being accommodated with a quick feedback loop back to the sourcing group
Maverick spending is an opportunity to improve.