Afternoon Coffee: Ariba Goes to China, Vroozi Announces New Funding

magdal3na/ Adobe Stock

SAP Ariba announced it intends to make its applications available in China by the end of 2016, according to a press release. The cloud-based e-procurement and supplier network provider will host its solution through partner GDS.

P2P provider Vroozi announced it raised $4 million in growth equity, the company said in a press release. The funds will be used to target growth in the United States and Europe and expand development in areas including analytics, artificial intelligence and payables management.

More than 100 million “hidden workers” exist within the supply chains of 50 major corporations, a new report from the International Trade Union Confederation says. The companies on the list, which include Apple, McDonald’s, Coca-Cola, Johnson & Johnson and Wal-Mart, employ only 6% of their workforce directly, with the other 94% working off the record or providing undeclared work somewhere in the supply chain.  

And finally, a story illustrating the dangers of chasing lower costs above all else. The New York Times reports that General Motors switched to airbag supplier Takata in the 1990s after the Japanese manufacturer offered a product that was 30% cheaper per module — and GM’s prior supplier, Autoliv, refused to incorporate a dangerously volatile compound into its inflater designer to duplicate those lower costs. Takata’s airbags have been linked to the death of 14 people and more than 100 injuries because of faulty inflators.   

Share on Procurious

Discuss this:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.